Saturday, July 1

Road Trip!

Yes, folks, this post comes to you from the hills of central Carolina -- Huntersville, to be exact. I'm currently finishing up day 2 of the Great Summer Roadtrip of 2006. And, well, it's been....interesting. Let me just say two words: family reunion.

Well, my family isn't all here. My brothers probably don't even know where I am, let alone know they missed a family reunion. But it would have been WAY more fun with them around. Sad. I wish they were here. Anyway, my dad's cousins are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary this summer and threw a big weekend party up here around Charlotte, NC.

Various events this weekend included introducing and reintroducing yourself to people, commenting on who's changed and who's grown up, trying to remember the last time you saw each other, and eating, eating, eating. Stay tuned for pics. I know you're on the edge of your seat.

A few reflections....

1. It's entertaining for me to watch people's reactions when I answer the question "So, what do you do?" Most people don't know how to respond. Missionary work? Honestly, their replies usually leave me laughing inside.

2. Apparently, I've graduated from the question "are you dating anyone now?" to "any marriage plans on your horizon?" ....what??

3. My mom is one surprising gal. Not only did she sing along with me to both Johnny Cash and Caedmons Call on the way up (?), but she was determined to hear some live music before leaving the pub on Friday night. Who's that yelling at the band to begin? Oh my gosh, it's my mother. (check please!)

4. The best part (and maybe why I came...) was reconnecting with some distant cousins who are kindred family in the Faith. I'm so encouraged by their lives. You know, there are just some people that you don't see very often, and you may not have a whole lot to talk about with them, but you really enjoy spending time with them. Do you know people like that? Well, these people are my family. I like them.

Tomorrow I say goodbye to...where am I again?...oh yeah, Huntersville, and head over to Morganton about an hour away for a much anticipated bluegrass festival. Yeah baby!

No comments: