Wednesday, July 26

Lamenting

One of my favorite-books-ever-must-have-it-with-me is "A Diary of Private Prayer" by John Baillie. Check it out on Amazon, friends, you need a copy. It's a prayer book that has morning and evening prayers for a month. Last night's entry was so poignant; it brought me to my knees. I'd like to share it with you, but I suggest printing it out and spending time in solitude as you reflect....

"Holy God, to whose service I long ago dedicated my soul and life, I grieve and lament before Thee that I am still so prone to sin and so little inclined to obedience:

So much attached to the pleasures of sense, no negligent of things spiritual:
So prompt to gratify my body, so slow to nourish my soul:
So greedy for present delight, so indifferent to lasting blessedness:
So fond of idleness, so indisposed for labour:
So soon at play, so late at prayer:
So brisk in the service of self, so slack in the service of others:
So eager to get, so reluctant to give:
So lofty in my profession, so low in my practice:
So full of good intentions, so backward to fulfil them:
So severe with my neighbors, so indulgent with myself:
So eager to find fault, so resentful at being found fault with:
So little able for great tasks, so discontented with small ones:
So weak in adversity, so swollen and self-satisfied in prosperity:
So helpless apart from Thee, and yet so little willing to be bound to Thee.

O merciful heart of God, grant me yet again Thy forgiveness. Hear my sorrowful tale and in Thy great mercy blot it out from the book of Thy rememberance. Give me faith so to lay hold of Thine own holiness and so to rejoice in the righteousness of Christ my Savior that, resting on His merits rather than on my own, I may more and more become conformed to His likeness, my will becoming one with His in obedience to Thine. All this I ask for His holy name's sake. Amen."

1 comment:

Mercy Now said...

Just when I thought I was doing pretty good I ran into this. I qualify for 10 of the 13 so uhm basically I failed miserably. Thanks a lot! Seriously, thanks for the humbling reminder and challenge.