Monday, August 28

Can I get an AMEN?

Have you seen this month's cover of Christianity Today? The cover story is

Young, Restless, Reformed: Calvinism is making a comeback - and shaking up the church.

Really, please go read this article. It's absolutely fantastic. Enough said.

But I'll keep going. The article begins with the undeniable popularity of John Piper, especially in relation to the recent "Together for the Gospel" conference and regular Passion conferences. Piper is credited as "more than anyone else, [the contributor] to a resurgence of Reformed theology among young people."

The article goes on to illumine Reformed theology's commitment to doctrine, spiritual depth, God-exalting focus, and of course, TULIP. I'm so proud of my generation of the church. Discontent to simply accept, we are impacting the Church with a genuine yet aggressive persual of deep truth in Scripture, doctrine, grace, worship, and soveriengty. AMEN, I love it.

It's risky asking for comments on my blog, because it usually results in a jinx. (Yeah, I said jinx in my blog entry about God's sovereignty.) But seriously, I'd love to hear your comments on this article. Unfortunately, it's not online or I'd link you to it.

Quotes worth quoting:

"Someone like Louie is saying, 'You know what, it's not about us, it's about God's glory, it's about his renown.' Now I don't think most kids realize this, but that's the first step down a pathway of Reformed theology. Because if you say that it's not about you, well then you're on that road of saying it's not about your actions, your choosings, your determination."

"'This generation of young Christians is more committed, more theologically intense, more theologically curious, more self-aware and self-conscious as believers because they were not raised in an environment of cultural Christianity,' Mohler said. 'Or if they were, as soon as they arrived on a university campus, they found themselves in a hostile environment.' Mohler explained that Calvinism offers young people a countercultural alternative with deep roots."

"'I think the criticism of Reformed theology is being silenced by the mission and justice and evangelism and worship and counseling - the whole range of pastoral life,' Piper said. 'We're not the kind who are off in a Grand Rapids ghetto crossing our t's and dotting our i's and telling the world to get their act together. We're in the New Orleans slums with groups like Desire Street Ministries, raising up black elders through Reformed theology from 9-year-old boys who had no chance."

"'If you really understand Reformed theology, we should all just sit around shaking our heads going, 'It's unbelievable. Why would God choose any of us?' Harris said. 'You are so amazed by grace, you're not picking a fight with anyone, you're just crying tears of amazement that should lead to a heart for lost people, that God does indeed save, when he doesn't have to save anybody."

2 comments:

Ordinary Radical said...

Oh Beck. You are so awesome too...but, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this one. I would formulate a deep response but it would take too long. I wrote a little about it on my blog called "I Was Predestined To Write This."

But, one simple response. I do believe that God "woo's" us,he initiates the process, however to neglect the human culpability/responsibilty to the faith equation I think is flawed. As Hank, the Bible Answer Man as he is dubbed, would say, "God is not a cosmic rapist." You see, hard core Calvinism is forced love, and if we are to believe that the glory of God is the chief goal of man, to love God as a choice rather than a forced issue is more glorifying. Forced love is not glorfifying and its really not love, in my opinion. Love is a choice, like God chose to love us..and not just the elect..all of us. I do feel it is a really slippery slope if one says salvation is only for the elect...I am compelled, and do believe in my Spirit and heart, that God desires ALL men to know Him. Its even in His Word.

Ok, so I managed to ramble on. I think being that you are going to RTS you get a heavy dumping of that theology...so, maybe in that part of the world you see lots of momentum towards hard core reformed theology..but its certainly not prevelant in most evangelical circles worldwide (outside of the US) and even in AZ, where Im from, its less pervasive.

I still think your nose ring is tight!

Rebecca Yoon said...

I agree! I agree with what you wrote on your blog, and I agree with what you wrote here.

hmm...gotta find your email. I'll write ya.

BTW, your map at the bottom of your blog is totally rad!

And thanks..I LOVE the nose ring too (despite my funny pics).