Wednesday, November 8

Nori-chan

Somewhere around 3-4 years ago, while I was still a young whippersnapper student at UCF, I drove out to a Windermere Perkins to have breakfast with my friend Noriko. Since I was just beginning to study Japanese culture, my friendship with Noriko was an invaluable relationship as we shared our lives, worldviews, backgrounds, hopes, and dreams together. But even more so, she was also my sister in our great Faith. She had much to teach me about evangelism and discipleship in the context of Japanese culture. I eagerly sought to develop this friendship and soak up any time I could spend with her.

As we chatted over eggs and bacon that morning, Noriko was dreaming out loud about her future. She was finishing up at Valencia Community College at that time, where she first studied English and then received her AA degree. After a short break, she was enrolling in Rollins College to study English Literature (can you imagine Shakespeare in a second language?).

"I'm think I would really like to study at RTS," she said. "But I don't know how I could ever afford that." We discussed this some more, and I concluded, "Noriko, if God really wants you to go, He'll provide." That's a simple answer; but I was firmly convinced.

"You know, I'm thinking of going to RTS, too!" I added. "Wouldn't it be so fun to be in class together? You and me - in seminary!"

Here we are! Systematics 1, Fall 06.

How Great is our God!
Last Sunday, we celebrated the completion of our 101 question mid-term at Hanamizuki. Yes, that's us enjoying green tea ice cream. Mmm...yum!

2 comments:

carlymay said...

Becky that's so so cool!! God is so great to us... I would love to come and have green tea ice cream with you too! I miss you.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.