Wednesday, October 25

Blonde, Redhead, or Brunette?

I'm currently working on that. Who really does have more fun? more adventure? more class?

Yesterday, I was a blonde.
Today, I'm a redhead.
Who knows...maybe sometime next week, I'll be a brunette.

And don't tell me that I look better as a blonde. That's a bunch of malarky. God made me a brunette, and while I do not find any problem at all in having fun changing my hair color, I value the way he made me.

This last week's shenanigans with Natalie Patton and a few boxes of hair color reminded me of the last time I tried to do my own hair. A few of my readers may remember this.

Picture me.
Color my hair with a florescent yellow highlighter.
Now put me in Japan.

Uh-huh. I stuck out like a sore thumb.

Oh wait, this was after I tried to "brush on" highlights myself, resulting in a yellow patch on the top of my head, tried to color it up with color, to no avail, then actually stripped my poor, dying hair of all pigment whatsoever.

On our third day in Japan, I met my fellow-teammates for lunch at Chiba University - our first day on campus. My teammates told their new Japanese friends that another American girl was coming for lunch, but she would be late (I know what you're thinking, but I was teaching an English class). When I walked up, one girl turned to meet me, jumped back, covered her mouth with her hand, and snickered. Yes, snickered. She was apparently taken aback by a strange glow coming from my head, otherwise known as MY HAIR. Reiko doesn't remember that story, but I sure do. It wasn't like I was self-conscious or anything...

A month later, friend Matt Walker came from the US to visit his sister and brought a gift from my mom: a box of brunette hair color and a highlighting kit. The Japanese learned there really was a God who cared about his children.

After that fateful operation, I decided I would trust the well-trained "beauty technicians" at my local salon to care for my mop. So for the last 5 years, I have forked over exhorbitant amounts of money every 3 months to get my hair done.

Until now.

Cut, color, blow dry, and style from Studio Gerault: $ 120
Box of color from Wal-mart: $ 7
Haircut from random salon: $ 15
Another box of color from Walgreens: $ 9.50
Your boss asking if you're going through a mid-20's crisis: priceless.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm comfused...what order did the cuts and colors occur. Pictures please. I've never seen you anything but blond.

Ordinary Radical said...

Dirty Blonde.

Mercy Now said...

People think blondes are well...brunettes are common too so try a subtle red the next time u'r in ANOTHER mid 20 crisis:o) Not many reds around.

Sarah said...

so are you going to post some pictures, or what? I'm excited to see them!

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Post pictures! You can't write a blog about hair color and how yours has radically changed without giving us visuals.

Mercy Now said...

A little bird told me it's dark brown so brunette it is.

Rebecca Yoon said...

Do you mean our friendly WP police officer? He's wrong. It's reddish.

Mercy Now said...

Ah ha! So I was right the first time! I'm so good that I should work at the circus at guessing weight, age, etc. Ok, no comment from the peanut gallery. No, that bird was your mom!