Tuesday, May 20

the proposal!

Thursday, May 15

I awoke to a text message from Joe, followed by a phone call. He was unusually alert for that time in the morning, sounded really excited to get to work, and was even on his way into the office a half-hour early! I wanted to go back to sleep, after having stayed up until 3ish finishing a paper, but his excitement really awakened me. "You're going on vacation today!" he said. He seemed more thrilled than I! We talked about my schedule for the day, which included swinging by RTS on the way out of town to finish a take-home exam. "How long will that take?" he asked. "I don't know, no more than 2 hours."

So I was out of bed in minutes, tidying up my work inbox for the week and packing my bags. I was expecting to have 2 days to myself at the beach, so I packed like a champ with books, stamping supplies, magazines, etc. (never got used, not a last one of them :) I talked to Joe maybe 2 more times before finally settling down with my take-home exam at RTS. He was persistent in asking "how long will your exam take? When do you think you'll be heading to New Smyrna?" It never got to the point of annoying, but I definitely noticed he asked me so many times! I finished the exam 3 hours later (yikes), did a little jig, and was on the road to my final destination!! I have grown up loving my mom's family's beachhouse in New Smyrna Beach; I've always said that when I cross the bridge to beachside living, my soul knows it's time to rest and I breathe a big sigh of relief. And NSB did not disappoint this day either!

I drove up to the house, texted Joe that I had arrived, grabbed a few things, and went inside. The main living space is on the second floor, so that's where I headed first. Wow! -opened the curtains and the beach looked glorious! The phone rang and it was Joe. "I'm here!" I said excitedly. He said he was so glad I made it and asked how the weather was. I walked out onto the deck overlooking the beach and started telling him how it felt, "it's a little overcast, but feels great! I definitely want to take a walk first before I do anything else!" He responded, "a walk on the beach sounds so nice, I wish I could walk with you." Not thinking much of it, I said, "yes, honey, that does sound wonderful."

"Well....come downstairs!!!" WHAT?! His head popped up from the stairs leading down to the beach.... my eyes bugged out... is that my joe?!?! I could not even begin to grasp the fact that he was standing down there, right in front of me! I kept saying silly things like 'is that really you' and 'what are you doing here' and 'don't you have small group tonight', while he was still coaching me to come downstairs.
(the view from where I was standing on the deck, looking down to the stairs where Joe emerged)

Let me tell you, I RAN downstairs.

He greeted me with a kiss and I knew. This was it!

So we sat down on the stairs leading down to the beach, and while the wind was blowing in our hair and the waves were crashing about 20 feet away, Joe gifted me with a beautiful speech about our relationship and why he loves me. And then he asked me to MARRY him!! I couldn't believe it. I'd been waiting for this moment maybe all of my life, and it turned out to be more perfect than I could ever have imagined.



After several yeses and squeals and kisses, he promptly apologized for all the lying and deception he had authored over the last several months. HA. Poor guy hated living a secret life. But I really had no idea! He confessed to several "remember this? well, I was really doing this." (I thought he had been watching an unusually high volume of TV lately!)


It was absolutely blissful! He presented me with a stunning ring! And we talked for a long time and then he prayed for us. I might have opened one eye once or twice during the prayer to peek at the diamond on my hand (!). Yes, it's really there!



Joe came back on Friday and we had an amazing day just the two of us. Once my parents arrived on Friday night, we talked wedding for 3 1/2 hours straight before we all collapsed in bed. My brother and his family arrived on Saturday and we all had a wonderful weekend celebrating God's goodness to us!


We feel exceedingly blessed and are grateful for your excitement with us!!

14 comments:

Fleminator said...

WooHoo! So exciting! I know everyone reading your blog is as disappointed as I am that you are putting off the every-so-thrilling "going green" post AGAIN, but I think you made the right choice (both in posting and proposal acceptance) ;)...Congratualations. Have I mentioned that Central Asia is the hottest new place for a destination wedding? Let me know if you're interested...oh, and what is your email now?

Caroline Newkirk said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I'm so excited for you guys! Joe's proposal sounds so sweet--how great that you had the weekend ahead of you to enjoy those moments with him and your family!

Looking forward to seeing you guys next week, when I can see your ring in person! :)

Love,
Caroline

Tabitha said...

Congratulations!!! I'm excited for you and hope we can meet your sweet Joe someday soon!

Alicia said...

How fun!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited for you!

♪ NORI ♪ said...

What a beautiful story!
And your diamond ring is really... stunning!
It's so beautiful, Becky-chan!
So it really happened right after that!! WOW!! I spent time with you right before the engagement! Yay! :)

Unknown said...

Becky-chan this is wonderful news! We tried calling you the day of, but it was busy, we need to talk soon! Carly and I are so excited for you and Joe.

Sarah said...

Yea!!!!! I've been stalking your blog for the story since I found out. I couldn't be happier for you guys. God is so good and I rejoice in all of the gifts he will continue to lavish on you guys and you journey further into becoming one. And the ring is lovely. And I'm just giddy for you!!!!

Consecrated vessel said...

I second Sarah, she told me you were engaged and I have been looking more often than usual to hear the whole story. I'm so excited for you! Many blessings!
Amanda

The Nolls said...

WOOHOO! Loved getting the details. what a beautiful story. I am so so so so thrilled for you and Joe. truly, God has been so good to each of you in giving you each other. I know Joe is great, but man, he's a blessed guy to get you for a wife!!
Also, your ring is gorgeous... isn't it such a wonderful and constant reminder of some amazing things?!
Oh, I love you and couldn't be happier for you, dear friend! xoxo

Unknown said...

Becky,
We are so excited for you! What fun to now be planning a wedding and your life together. We will be praying for you guys!

The Pfeils

Ordinary Radical said...

Beckster,

Super sweet sistah! I am so happy for you!! Blessings upon your new journey in life!!

--Grant

asleep in the light said...

ahhhh!! thats sooo beautiful Becky and Im soo happy for you! You guys are gonna have the cutest kids in the WORLD!! (jejeje my blunt side)

Sasha Rothwell said...

Hey, you don't know me but I found your blog through the Nolls who are great friends of ours. I check out you blog every once and awhile! Congrats to you both! Your beautiful story made me cry. I'm so happy for you! And Joe you are very romantic!

As a side note my husband and I are photographers and one of our favorite things to shoot is a wedding! So If you need a photographer come check us out.
www.rothwellphotography.blogspot.com

God bless you with His richest blessings!

Tim, Sasha & Annya

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! How much fun!! I love the ring!! -Kim Pate