Wednesday, May 7

Black Bean Burritos

During the month of April, I took part in a pilot mentoring program through my church called Recipes for Life. In short, a group of older and younger women met on Tuesday nights to share a meal, study the Scriptures, and share our lives. I got to know some new friends and learned tons of new recipes!

I'm in this strange stage of life (short-lived, I pray:) between not really being single and not being married yet. For you ladies out there: I'm sure you'll understand. Although I've always loved anything at home, I find myself more excited than ever to cook, clean, decorate, garden and generally take care of a home. And I also am being drawn to older married women who can teach me the art of being a good wife. So -- this mentoring program was for me!

Here's one of my favorite new recipes that I've made maybe 3 times in the last two weeks. :) It's so easy, cheap, fast, and a real winner! Thank you Lou Jones for sharing.

Black Bean Burritos

2 green onions
1 clove garlic, minced
I T. vegetable oil
1 can black beans, drained
1 jar salsa
1 t. chili powder
1 1/2 C. mild cheddar cheese, shredded
4 tortillas (soft taco size)

In a large skillet, cook green onions and garlic in oil for 2 minutes. Add beans, 1/4 C. salsa, and chili powder and heat through. Remove from heat and stir in 1 C. cheese. Spread black bean mixture down center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in a lightly greased baking dish. Spoon additional salsa over top of tortillas and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes OR cover with plastic and microwave for 3-5 minutes. You may wish to top with sour cream or cilantro to serve. YUM!

This recipe makes 4 burritos, but it doubles or even triples very easily!

PS...the Jones family particularly likes this meal because it's meatless. But Joe prefers it with chicken. :) I used just one boneless chicken breast and it was sufficient.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

awesome! i'm making it tonight!!! I was planning on burritos, but this is even better!