Wednesday, December 6

ever met an ice sculpter?

While in Austin, Lauri and I had dinner with one of her supporters and then he showed us his...studio? I'm going to call it a studio. Pretty darn cool.

Here are the freezers where he makes his own ice blocks. Looking in, it appears to be all water, but wen I stuck my hand down into the water, it stopped about 4 inches deep! The rest was already frozen. I could have never told you that; the water was so clear.

Frozen ice blocks ready for the chainsaw.

Doug also has a laser machine that cuts the ice perfectly. This is best used when making monograms or logos. You just shimmy the ice block up into place, configure your settings on the computer, and vwa-la, it's done in about 20 minutes. And this dude ain't playing; the work is amazing! I don't have a picture of his finished work, but you can find it at www.amazingicedesigns.com.
Brrrr....it's cold in this freezer!

4 comments:

Mercy Now said...

U should be a tour guide for that place.

Jennings, I left u a msg a wk ago.

Rebecca Yoon said...

what is this, an answering service now?!

Mercy Now said...

Oh, Jennings, the best time to call me is @ 9PM on a weeknight, NOT on a Fri night!

Thanks, Becky, this is a really cool place to leave msgs.

N said...

Becky-how are you? It's been so long since we talked!! How is Orlando, St. Pauls, your latest cooking/decorating projects, sushi, the beach....everything???? I miss you, friend! And I would love to hear how you are.