Friday, March 3

Engaging in Pop Culture

Yep. I'm a big fan of EXTREME MAKEOVER: Home Edition. Great show. Great Biblical principles. Fun designers. (No...I'm not obsessed with Ty.) So when I heard they were filming in Orlando, my roommate and I went to cheer them on.

As it turns out, my Dad worked on this job! Let me brag on my Dad for bit...He is really cool. Not only can he pick an amazing guitar string --along with the mandolin, banjo, and bass--, he has mad art skills. This man is really talented. (can I get some of that?)

The best way I can describe my Dad's job is architectual illustration. (S.Reed, is that right?) When I was a child, he would tell me he draws houses all day. :) Really, he draws the finished product of what the architect designed. And he mostly works with residential design.

Now some of you may be thinking, "Oh yeah, I've heard of CAD." Yeah, but have you ever met my Dad? He's old school. This is no CAD-graphic design-computer program. It's real, live pen and ink, marker for a color job, and maybe a little watercolor if you're special. Amazing!

Wanna see some of his work?



That's me in front of a poster at the EM:Home Edition site. This was the house ABC built for Sadie Holmes and her five children. She is an inspirational woman who got clean after years of drug use and now runs a non-profit helping the poor and needy in Seminole County. ABC tore down her shack (truly) that she called home and office and rebuit a huge home and separate office space on this property. And my Dad drew this!!

Well, Dad pulled a few strings and got me and a couple of friends some VIP passes to the EM: Home Edition site. Thanks, Pop. We walked into the VIP tent and immediately went over the see the posters and take these pictures.

Here's me in front of the poster with Dad's logo on it.



While we were taking pics, this guy who was obviously working there, walked up and said, "I want to take my picture with you." ???

Kim and I looked at each other, at him, and both said, "Who are you?" "It doesn't matter," he said, "take the picture."



"By the way, I'm Dustin." ...and then he left. Yeah, we were all confused and racking our brain to figure out who he was.

A few minutes later, as we were checking out the house from a safe distance inside a very secure tent, someone said to us, "Excuse me, who are you with?" We turned to find a lady wearing a Mercedes Homes shirt. I answered, and then she proceeded to say she couldn't believe we got past security with sandals on and we had to leave. We could NOT under any circumstances be on the site without closed-toe shoes on. Okay, first of all, we did not have to wear safety helmets. Second of all, we signed a waiver. Third, we went through several layers of security. And fourth, the other guests five steps outside the VIP tent definitely had open-toed shoes. But, whatever. She was following us to make sure we were leaving. (we made sure to grab all the free food and drinks we could on the way out)

As we proceeded to leave, we passed our little picture friend talking to the crowd and I said, "Bye Dustin." He looked at us and said, "Why are you leaving...you just got here, didn't you?" We told him the story and he said, "wait here", followed by some talking in his secret microphone. Now we were super intrigued. Who is this guy?! He looks like he's got a bullet-proof vest on and works for the secret service.

A few minutes later, he came back and let us through. Whoever he was, Dustin was important. The lady from earlier eventually came back and apologized and said "some people the rules just don't apply to." !! haha What did Dustin tell her?


Stickin' it to the man.


Hanging out in the VIP tent with Nicole and Kim.


Monday: nothing but the concrete slab.


Wednesday: all the worker ants getting the job done. This picture was taken from the same spot as the one above. They really worked fast!


Look closely and you can see Designer Paul DiMeo!


Designer Preston Sharp - we don't think he was having a very good day.

And.....

Sexy Ed Sanders. Gotta love the British accent.

It was a super fun experience, I have to admit. And Happy Birthday to me! This was just a few days before my special day... (more pics to come)

3 comments:

Mercy Now said...

Bus driver, MOVE THAT BUS!
You look like the next Vanna White in the photo of you in front of your dad's logo.

bethany said...

i love that show becky! what a memorable experience for you and your friends :-) that's a sweet sweet deal!
bethany
happy belated birthday :-)

Shawn said...

becks....that's awesome. :)

yes; i'd say you described very well what your dad does; an architectural illustrator.

cad is cad. cad is not, by and large, attractive. what your father does is art, and I think it's amazing. I can run circles around 95% of the people who use cad, and i'm not a shabby 'illustrator' (with pen/markers) myself, but your dad is in a whole other league.

If ever you doubted it, do so no longer.


and..."dustin" just had a crush on you...way to work the system, kiddo. :) that sounds like quite the experience.