Monday, February 14

Four Years

I sat on the couch, all comfy in PJs and enjoying the company of old friends and new, and stared at my phone.

The text read, "Can we meet somewhere and talk?"

I looked up, caught the eyes of my roommate, and, well, I may have let out a little scream. I showed her the phone screen. She screamed.

We both knew what this meant.

I had spent the last week on board a cruise ship, aptly named by fellow cruisers the Love Boat, with around 100 of my fellow ministry partners; one of which, in particular, held nearly all of my attention.

I had spent the last month on the phone with this fella nearly everyday, sharing our lives and getting to know each other.

I had spent the last several months emailing him jokes, comments, and interruptions to his day.

I had spent the last twenty-five years praying for him.

So, when the text rang from my phone, my roommate and I knew: now, my prince had come!

He came over to my house around 10pm, all snuffly and sick, and we walked around the neighborhood putting words to feelings and throwing around questions like "what about Japan?" and "what about my timeline?" and " what could this mean?" The answer to all of that was "I just don't know." We walked in silence.

The only answer I could find was: "I do know I don't want to walk away from you." We held hands and prayed and asked God for direction.

And God blessed! What followed was the most incredible year of adventures and memories and hard discussions and growth. What delight we had in being together! Neither of us could believe the joy God gave in our relationship.

Four years later... what a sweet Valentine I have! He is a treasure. He is grace - the loving gift of God for my good, a daily reminder of God's tender care for me, and a place of safety for my heart. Love grows more, richer and deeper. We're still learning each other - what he/she likes, how he/she gets irritated, and (the hard one) how to bless in the midst of irritation. I'm learning how to really pray for someone and how to trust God with someone.

An adventure, to be sure, and one I'm most grateful for. What could He have for us? We're not sure, but definitely praying and dreaming and holding fast together.

I'm so glad that dashing young fella called and asked to talk!

3 comments:

de'craft Admin said...

It is such a blessing that you have found your better half. Your prayers have definitely been answered. God Bless!

RUBB said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
http://1endecoracion.blogspot.com said...

Quite awesome article. I simply stumbled upon your web site and wanted to say that I've definitely loved searching your website posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!