Monday, January 29

I'm a Rock Star!

So pumped about this. LOVED IT.

You're looking at runner no. 1336 who finished her first- ever-5k in 38 minutes 52 seconds WITHOUT EVEN STOPPING!!! I'm more excited about not having to stop and walk than my time...which was an average of 12 and a half minutes per mile.

Wow. Seriously, I exceeding my goals by.. a lot. I'm really pumped and can't wait for my next one on Feb. 17th. Wanna run with me?!?!

Okay, some other people wanted details. So I rolled in from my weekend rendevous in Jacksonville at 11pm on Saturday night, got everything ready for the next morning, had a bowl of cereal (last minute carbs), and was in bed at 11:30. Starting at 2am, I awoke every hour until the alarm went off because I was afraid of oversleeping. Argh. I was a little nervous when I awoke at 6:30, I'm not gonna lie. So I kept telling myself,"I'm just going for a run, no big deal." But when I got close to the site at Mead Gardens, the parking was horrendous. I parked about 1/2 a mile away, so I ran from my car to the Gardens just to warm up.

Next thing you know, I hear a gun shot and we're off! Apparently, I was too close to the front, because I was getting pushed and passed by for the first several minutes. It was a funny scene - 1300 women in a literal stampede. And it's motivating with all those women running around you..I wanted to go faster and not let them pass me by! But I just settled into my own pace.

Surprisingly, when I hit mile marker 1, I was feeling pretty good. So I kept on pumping. We were running through some gorgeous neighborhoods with the trees overhanging the streets (classic, beautiful Winter Park. I love where I live). As we were rounding one corner, I heard some music getting louder as I gained ground. ?? Turned the corner and found a house with all the windows and doors open blasting some kind of high energy music, with the owner of the house standing in the driveway cheering and waving us by. It is about 7:45 in the morning at this point; the neighbors were loving him, I am sure. I smiled a few minutes later as we passed another house with a young 10-year-oldish looking boy out in the front yard with his dad and Ipod speakers blasting the theme song to Chariots of Fire. :)

At the halfway mark, they were passing out cups of water. Watching the people in front of me, I followed suit and slowed down to grab the water, drink a few sips, and chuck the cup as I kept on running.

At mile marker 2, I decided no one could stop me now. I was gonna finish this thing without stopping. By halfway through mile 3, I was fighting myself to keep going. I was banking on hitting that "runners high" at some point, but it never came. Once I saw my mom and uncle cheering me on, and then my coach, Scott, though, I was smokin'. At mile marker 3, I picked up speed, passed a few slow pokes, and finished on a strong note. :) I'm telling you, it was exhilarating!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Congratulations!!! I knew you could do it :)!!!

Anonymous said...

WOOHOO!!! CONGRATS!! Welcome to the world of running! Thanks for checking out my blog and I hope your taking care of my older bro??:) Keep running it's such a blast!

The Running Man!

Anonymous said...

Did I mention CONGRATS!!! WOOHOO!

The Nolls said...

Yay Becky!!! I'm so proud of you and totally motivated. Maybe I will run a 5k and then one day, we can do one together...
~sb

Anonymous said...

Becky that is awesome!!! So cool that you ran the whole thing! I know I would have a lot of training to do... looks like you had a blast:) xoxo carlymay

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm so impressed! I've probably told you my mom's a marathon runner (she's even done an ultra-marathon!). It is not hereditary. Or maybe it is and I didn't get those genes. :p