Thursday, September 3

FPU

i'm back. for real. thats all i'm going to say.
--

The Hubster and I recently started a class at our church that we really want to plug: Financial Peace University. I personally think the name is a bit cheesy, but oh well. It's all about how to manage your money through a Biblical lens. We are learning so much! ..and boy, are we quick to apply it! We officially started last Sunday and already we have an envelope system and have moved to all-cash purchases. (the greenbacks literally - sans the debit card!)

Both Joe and I experienced the pressure of credit card debt as singles. Endless swiping of the plastic is a terribly easy temptation and we cringe at the memory of it. So, as soon as we got married, we started looking around for some kind of class to attend together so we could be on the same page in regards to our finances. Here we are and we are really thrilled.

The class is taught (via DVD) by Dave Ramsey, who also has a nationally-syndicated radio show. (For those of you in the Orlando area, it's from 3-6 daily on 540AM) He has a lot of wonderful advice. As you can imagine, his major platform is getting rid of all debt except your mortgage, and he advocates paying cash for everything.

All this to say - (1) I'll keep you updated about what I'm learning and how it goes. Our goal is to save, save, save for a house and for babies. :) and (2) I'll keep you updated on the deals and steals I find around town. I'm addicted to coupons and sales and good deals. Can I share? I read a couple of money-saving blogs daily, but even they sometimes either go overboard (who really needs 20 bottles of salad dressing?!?!) or miss some of the tips I find most useful.

Hope to see you around a little more often! ;)

No comments: